from Phyllis Davis’ Tilapia Cookbook, Ten Tantalizing Tilapia Recipes to Titillate Your Taste Buds©
This is a super easy and healthy fish dish that is only ‘drizzled’ with olive oil and baked for 17 minutes. What could be easier? You can serve it with a quick cabbage salad and boiled new potatoes and viola! You’ll have a freshly prepared meal in a matter of minutes. And if you own your own Portable Farms® Aquaponics System, you’ll have an endless supply of fresh, home-grown tilapia!
Enjoy Tilapia as a Low Calorie, Low Fat, High Protein Alternative to a Skinless Chicken Breast
* 4 oz Tilapia fillet – 105 calories, 1 gram fat, 23 grams protein
* 4 oz skinless chicken breast – 140 calories, 2 grams fat, 33 grams protein
- 4 (4 ounce) Tilapia fillets cut into 2 or 3 inch strips each (One tilapia generally produces two 4 oz fillets)
- 1 Cup oat-bran cereal (even cornflakes will work)
- 1 Teaspoon fresh or dried basil leaves
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ Cup milk (skim or whole)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
Secret Tilapia Chutney that WOW’s ‘Em every time
- 1/3 Cup sour cream
- 1 Teaspoon crushed or creamy horseradish (or more to taste)
- 3 Tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro
- 3 Tablespoons of any mixture of the following choices (use a food processor if you have one): crushed cashew nuts, chopped red or green bell pepper, sliced olives, chopped onion, grated carrots, or chopped broccoli. (optional) Lemon or lime juice.
- If you want to spice it up, add a dash of cayenne pepper or a dash of Tabasco or Cholula Sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease or spray a medium sized baking pan.
- Crush cereal in a small bag with a rolling pin or mix in a food processor.
- In one mixing bowl, mix cereal, salt, and pepper.
- Cut Tilapia fillets into 2 to 3 inch strips.
- In another mixing bowl, pour in milk then dip each of your Tilapia fillets into the milk.
- Move the moist Tilapia fillets from the milk into the mixing bowl with the cereal, salt and pepper and bread both sides of the fish.
- Place your breaded Tilapia fillets into the baking pan and drizzle olive oil evenly over the Tilapia strips.
- Bake uncovered 15 to 17 minutes until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- While fish is baking, mix and blend all ingredients for the Secret Tilapia Chutney in a small bowl, and when you serve the fish, serve the chutney on the side of the fish on each plate with a lemon wedge.
Serve your Crunchy Tilapia with pinto beans, boiled new potatoes, Hush Puppies or corn bread, and lemon or coconut meringue pie for dessert. Serves 4